The brain is a powerful tool. Using Mindful and Strength-based practices is an intentional way to keep the brain connected and working in harmony. How does your brain help you?
When all the parts of the brain work in harmony, emotions, and behaviors are expressed in helpful ways, let’s use the hand to show how this is done.
• Alarm center of our big emotions like anger, fear and frustration
• Senses danger
• Interprets the world through
• Triggers Flight, Fight, and Freeze
UPSTAIRS BRAIN – PREFRONTAL CORTEX
• Protects Amygdala
• Allows good choices • Allows clear thinking • Manages emotions
• Helps you ask for help
“FLIPPING OUR LID”
• The downstairs brain and the upstairs brain aren’t working together
• Can’t think clearly
• Not managing emotions well
• Brain working together in harmony • Making wise decisions
• Using feelings and thinking clearly
The next time you start to feel worried, angry, stressed, scared or overwhelmed, say, “I’m about to ‘flip my lid’, I need a break.” Knowing when you are about to “flip your lid” allows you to reconnect the brain by using coping strategies. Once you are calm, you can talk about your feelings and needs.