Parenting is Tough. We Can Help!
Parenting is Tough. We Can Help!
Parenting is Tough! We Can Help!
Being a parent is the most important and challenging job you’ll ever do! Natural Strength Parenting™ from Beech Acres Parenting Center can help you navigate these challenging times and help you enjoy parenting your child more.
What is Natural Strength Parenting™?
Natural Strength Parenting™ is a unique approach to parenting that encourages you to be intentional and mindful while focusing on your child’s innate strengths. Building on their strengths will increase their confidence, self-esteem, and resilience, which can lead to positive well-being.
Start By Being Intentional
To be intentional is to live a proactive, purposeful life instead of a reactive life on auto-pilot. Here are some simple steps to get started with intentionality:
- Stop asking your children, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ ask them, ‘Who do you want to be when you grow up? What type of adult?’
- Take a moment to contemplate what you want your children to say about you in your eulogy.
- Bigger Steps:
- Write down your values as a family. Here is a true story of one family.
- Color a family crest together from the Natural Strength Parenting™ Starter Kit.
- Get started with our FREE five-day, text-based course, Intentionality with Family Values!
Discover Your Family’s Strengths
Did you know everyone has 24 character strengths inside of them? Natural energy comes from using our top 5 – but all are inside!
Human reflex is to fix what’s wrong… but brain science has taught us that encouraging your children’s strengths builds the resilience and skills to resist the negative influences surrounding them.
Here are some simple steps to get started with strengths:
- Try replacing the phrase ‘good job’ with something more specific. ‘It was brave of you to sign-up for that activity without knowing anyone.’ ‘You really persevered working through that social studies project.’ You are strength-spotting!
- Take the complete VIA Character Strength survey at their website, or try the shorter version in our ‘starter kit’ and then plot out your family’s strengths.
- Get started with our FREE seven-day, text-based course Natural Strength Parenting 101!
We can only see our child(ren)’s strengths if our minds are open to them and purposely noticing what she/he is doing. Likewise, we can only set a specific intention for the future if we are aware of our current situation.
Start with these simple steps to implement mindfulness:
- Take a breath
- Play and put down the smartphone – try the Calm app
- Teach your kids, S.T.O.P. and encourage them to use it before MAP tests, their next big game, music recitals… or when they are about to lose it with a sibling.
- Get started with our FREE five-day, text-based course Mindfulness With Intentionality.
Putting It All Together
Let’s see how this all works together. Let’s say you’ve set an intention to raise a strong, independent daughter.
You can reinforce this intention by making subtle changes in everyday moments. You’re in a hurry to get home after basketball practice. Your default might be to snap, “Get in the car! We’re running late. Instead, you could remember your intention and mindfully engage. You might recall that she was afraid to try out for the team. “You used your strength of bravery when you tried out for the team.”
Ask a powerful question in the moment: “What new thing did you learn today that will help you be a better player? I want to hear about it on the way home, but we’ve got to go
because we’re running late today.” See how a small change can make a big difference? That’s Natural Strength Parenting™ at work.